Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tales from the Newbie...

Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce myself to you: my name is Shannon Kehoe and I am the newest member on the Mount Admissions team. Over the last few weeks I have been traveling through communities in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia talking to students about coming to the Mount for university – in fact you may have met me at your school!


The Mount mobile in front of the world's largest
illuminated fiddle in Sydney, NS. (55 feet tall)
I have had an awesome time meeting new people and going new places, and I think I have more in common with some of you than you may think. Sure, I have a degree (Bachelor of Public Relations) and I have a job in my field, but I still don’t always know where I am going in life. For instance, on my first week on the road I let my GPS take me down a back road used for logging. According to Daniel (the GPS) this road was the best way from Chipman, NB to Halifax, NS. I am here to tell you that it was not the quickest and at times was scarier than the highway would have been. But I believed that the choice I had made would work out, and I was right. Forty five minutes later than planned, the Mount mobile emerged from the woods, unscathed, and I emerged a little wiser. What does this have to do with being in high school? My point is that we don’t always know where we are going in life – and you don’t have to know exactly what you want to do out of high school. Just like my GPS gave me a couple options of routes to take, university is giving you options about what you can do in life. It’s still early in the year. Take this time to learn about schools – do research and ask questions, and when you do choose a program, choose something that will interest you. The decision you make should be based on what you want to do in your life. Remember to follow your passion and to enjoy the scenery life hands you along the way.

Taking in the scenic route along Kelly's Mountain in Cape Breton

:)

No comments: