Monday, October 6, 2008

Introducing The Mount to the World

So this week I've received the challenging assignment of visiting high schools and the college in Bermuda. I know, rough life, ha ha. Mount Saint Vincent University actually has a long relationship with Bermuda - we have been coming here for over twenty years and the Sisters of Charity who founded the Mount so long ago also founded a high school in Bermuda - Mount Saint Agnes - where I was at today.

I love coming to Bermuda not only because of the obvious reasons (it's stunningly beautiful, the people are as friendly as they are in the Maritimes, and, of course, it's hot almost all year round!!) but also because of the opportunity to introduce the Mount to a new generation of students and meet all sorts of Mount Saint Vincent University Bermudian alumni who have come back home after their degree.

One of the great things about the Mount is that we don't differentiate between Canadian and international students as far as admissions to limited enrollment programs, and scholarships. That means that if you meet the admissions and scholarship requirements you will not be penalized against because you're not Canadian - you get the exact same consideration and advantages. This also means that every year more and more international students get to experience life in Canada and all of the benefits of a great Canadian education!

I am also managing to squeeze in a bit of recreation when I've finished working for the day. I have gone for some walks and taken lots of pictures of palm trees - and me with palm trees (as you can see!), and another day I got to spend a couple hours snorkelling off the coast of Bermuda - I saw tonnes of fish, coral and shipwrecks - and one barracuda!! Luckily he was more interested in the other fish than us but it kept us all awake and paying attention for the rest of the trip that's for sure! :-)

No comments: